Maybe a good thing.
In the early morning of August 4, according to Bloomberg, Activision Blizzard recently canceled an IP mobile game project “World of Warcraft” under development, and the related development team has also been disbanded.
It’s not surprising for any major game company to cancel a long-term project halfway through. One of the authors of this report, well-known journalist and Blizzard “uncle party” Jason Schreier has previously revealed a lot of news about Blizzard cutting down a certain game, but due to the limitation of non-disclosure agreements, many products were stillborn. Unknown to ordinary players.
Fortunately, there is more information about the hacked game in this report: it is a mobile game with the theme of the World of Warcraft IP jointly developed by Blizzard and NetEase.
The game’s internal code name is said to be “Neptune”. Unlike the Warcraft strategy mobile game “Warcraft Arc Battle” announced in the first half of the year, the development scale of “Neptune” is larger and is set as a game. A large-scale MMORPG, the background world view is the same as that of World of Warcraft, but it is located on a different story timeline.
According to people familiar with the matter, due to the game project being cut, NetEase has disbanded a development team of more than 100 people, and only a small number of members of the team can be transferred internally. The reason for the cancellation is that Blizzard and NetEase have cooperated on terms. Disagreements arose, eventually causing both sides to halt development progress.
This isn’t the first time Blizzard has voluntarily canceled a project in development in recent times, even if it’s only focusing on mobile games. In May of this year, Bloomberg had exposed another mobile game of the “World of Warcraft” IP, code-named “Orbis”, according to Jason
Schreier said that the game has been in development for four years, and the gameplay is similar to “Pokémon GO”, but it has also been officially stopped internally.
Whether it is mobile or PC, Blizzard has had a lot of works that died halfway through. In response to this situation, Allen Adham, one of the founders of Blizzard, said many years ago that even if the project is abandoned, the materials in development will not be wasted, but will be used as a legacy to help the development of other games (just like “Titan” for Overwatch). And the suspension of this Warcraft mobile game is not necessarily a bad thing – it may be that Blizzard really judges that its classic IP is very difficult and risky when adapting it into an MMO mobile game.
This article is reprinted from: https://www.yystv.cn/p/9549
This site is for inclusion only, and the copyright belongs to the original author.